Yes, my friends, it’s true … today is International Bacon Day!
Apparently, International Bacon Day is held on the Saturday before Labor Day in the United States. Last year, International Bacon Day was celebrated in the US, Australia, Canada, South Africa, Switzerland, and the UK … wow!
Truth be told, I didn’t know there was an International Bacon Day (but I totally should have guessed there was). Since I’m not prepared to celebrate (no, I don’t have any bacon in the house … wait … wait … I’ll give you a second to recover from that), I’ll just share one of my favorite bacon recipes with you.
BSFGT (Bacon, Spinach, and Fried Green Tomato Sandwich)
8 slices bacon
1 good sized green tomato
1 cup cornmeal
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup milk
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce (use your favorite kind)
4 slices whole wheat bread
1. Fry bacon in a skillet; set aside on a paper towel to drain.
2. Slice the green tomato 1/2 inch thick.
3. Combine cormeal, salt, and pepper.
4. Dip tomato slices in milk and roll well in cornmeal.
5. Fry tomato in bacon grease until brown on both sides and drain on paper towel.
6. Stir together mayonnaise, lemon juice, and hot sauce.
7. Toast wheat bread.
8. Build sandwich: Spread one side of each slice of toast with mayonnaise mixture, top two slices of toast with spinach leaves, top spinach with fried tomato slices, top tomato with 4 bacon strips, top evenly with more spinach, then cover with the remaining slices of toast, mayonnaise side down.
9. Cut sandwich in half and serve immediately.