the moon laughs and whispers, ’tis near Halloween.”
Truth be told, I’ve never been much of a Halloween person, but since my nephews came along, I’ve definitely gotten a bit more into it … and I can’t wait to see them in their Halloween costumes tomorrow night.
While 7 1/2 month old Graeme is a bit young for tasty Halloween treats, I wanted to make something fun for my almost 3-year-old nephew, Ben … and since we try to keep his diet as natural and chemical-free as possible, I wanted to make something fairly healthy and not *too* sugar laden … sounds tough, eh?
Feeling less than inspired, I turned to the Internet, which brought back lots of fun ideas … and from the multitude of options I found, I chose to make pretzel mummies! Not only are they totally adorable, they are pretty easy to make … and since I sourced organic and all-natural ingredients—and made the icing from scratch—I knew that the final product contained nothing artificial, which made me feel pretty good.
Hopefully Ben—and you—like these pretzel mummies as much I do!
- 20 organic pretzel rods
- 1 cup prepared royal icing, soft
- 40 Ghirardelli mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Line a large (or two small) cookie sheet(s) with parchment paper. Place pretzels rods on parchment, leaving a fair amount of space between them.
2. Place icing in a sturdy ziploc bag and snip the corner to create a small opening.
3. Pipe icing over the pretzels rods in a thin line from top to bottom. Immediately repeat piping, but from bottom to top this time. Icing will spread slightly and should resemble mummy wraps.
4. Place two mini chocolate chip into icing at top of pretzel to resemble eyes.
5. Place cookie sheets with prepared pretzel mummies in fridge to dry overnight.
6. Package in clear cellophane bags and secure with twist tie.