On Tuesday, I posted a quick and easy appetizer recipe for roasted olives. Today’s recipe is for another quick and easy appetizer, crostini.
Crostini, or “little toasts” in Italian, are small, thin slices of grilled or toasted bread topped with, well, anything you can imagine. Pesto and roasted cherry tomatoes? Yes, that would work. How about tapenade, marinated artichokes, and fresh shaved parmesan? Yep, that would work too.
The possibilities for toppings are endless, but to give you some more ideas for crostini toppings that will wow your friends and family, here are my top ten favorites … in no particular order!
- Spread with fig jam; top with Maytag blue cheese and prosciutto.
- Spread with butter; top with thinly sliced pickled radishes; sprinkle with sea salt.
- Spread with hummus; top with olive tapenade and feta cheese.
- Spread with ricotta cheese; top with roasted cherry tomatoes; sprinkle with course black pepper.
- Spread with taleggio cheese; top with roasted mushrooms; sprinkle with fresh rosemary.
- Spread with pesto; top with roasted red peppers; sprinkle with balsamic vinegar.
- Spread with mango chutney; top with caramelized onions.
- Spread with ricotta cheese; top with peach slices and prosciutto.
- Spread with gorgonzola cheese, top with arugula and pear slices; drizzle with honey.
- Spread with honey mustard; top with country ham; sprinkle with fresh dill.
All of the toppings above are savory, but you could top your crostini with sweet toppings as well. Slathering crostini with melted milk chocolate and topping with orange zest and sea salt? Yeah, that would work. Slathering crostini with melted dark chocolate and topping with chopped pistachios and dried cherries? Umm, yeah, that would work too!
So, what would you top crostini with? Leave me a comment and let me know … I can’t wait to see all of your delicious ideas!
- 1 French or Italian baguette (8 to 10 ounces), sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 garlic clove, cut crosswise
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Place baguette slices on one or two large baking sheets; brush both sides of baguette slices with oil, and then season with salt and pepper.
3. Bake until crisp throughout and lightly golden brown, about 15 minutes to 20 minutes.
4. Let crostini cool, then rub with cut sides of garlic and top with desired toppings.
NOTES: If using two baking sheets, rotate them halfway through. If undersides of baguette slices are not browning, turn crostini over once during baking.