This post is sponsored by Davidson’s Safest Choice Eggs.
I have a confession to make.
I’m not a fan of eggnog. Well, more specifically … drinking eggnog.
It’s not that I don’t love the flavor of eggnog … I do. It’s just that I don’t like drinking milk or milk-based drinks. Yes, I know it’s weird, but it’s true … and, hey, there’s another confession for you.
Anyway … when my friends at Davidson’s Safest Choice Eggs reached out to me to participate in their Eggnog Party, I still said yes because while I don’t like drinking eggnog, I love baking it with it!
Before I get to today’s Eggnog Party recipe, let me tell you a bit about Safest Choice eggs, and why I choose their cage-free eggs when I can’t get my hands on local ones.
Safest Choice eggs are pasteurized in an all-natural, gentle water bath pasteurization process to eliminate the risk of Salmonella, making them a great choice when making recipes that call for raw or undercooked eggs.
In addition, Safest Choice only sources eggs from vegetarian-fed hens that are hormone and antibiotic free, and they only source from farms approved as Certified Humane, meaning they only source from farms that meet rigid animal welfare standards. Pretty cool, huh?
Now, on to today’s recipe … glazed eggnog quick bread!
To make my glazed eggnog quick bread, I used Safest Choice eggs and a prepared organic eggnog. I also added a little more nutmeg, some dried cherries, and some chopped pecans … and the result was divine!
I could kind of tell this recipe was going to be a winner as our house was filled with delicious scents while the bread was baking … but the end result? Even better than I’d hoped.
The holiday flavors that the eggnog imparts fully came through, and when combined with the sweetness of the dried cherries and the crunch of the pecans, my glazed eggnog quick bread would be a perfect choice for your holiday breakfast table … and it would make a fabulous holiday gift as well!
Glazed Eggnog Quick Bread
Ingredients for Bread (Adapted from All Recipes):
- 2 Safest Choice eggs
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup salted butter, melted
- 1 cup prepared eggnog
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped dried cherries
Ingredients for Glaze (Adapted from Recipe Girl):
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons prepared eggnog
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Grease the bottom and sides of a 9×5 inch loaf pan or four 6×3 inch loaf pans.
3. In a large bowl, beat the eggs. Stir in the sugar, butter, eggnog, and vanilla extract until thoroughly combined. In a medium-sized bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and nutmeg. Stir the dry ingredients into the eggnog mixture, just enough to moisten. Stir in the pecans and cherries (note: the batter will be thick). Divide the batter evenly into the prepared pan(s).
4. If using a large loaf pan, bake for 45 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean. If using miniature loaf pans, bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean. Let cool in pan(s) for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack, and cool completely.
5. Once cool, make the glaze. In a medium-sized bowl, combine the powdered sugar, vanilla, and nutmeg. Stir in the eggnog until the glaze is smooth and drizzling consistency is reached. Drizzle the cooled loaf(s) evenly with the glaze.
6. Let the glaze set completely before wrapping the loaf(s); store in the refrigerator.
Want to make your own eggnog instead of using prepared? Check out Safest Choice’s festive illustration showing how to make their classic eggnog recipe … and since it’s gotten rave reviews from my fellow Eggnog Party bloggers, I confess that I may just have to give it a try!
For more fabulous eggnog recipes, check out the Safest Choice Eggnog Pinboard on Pinterest, curated by the Eggnog Party bloggers and Safest Choice’s Darling Dozen brand ambassadors.
Oh, about that giveaway I mentioned in the title of this post!
Safest Choice is giving away two baking prize packs valued at $500 each! Each prize pack includes one (1) $200 American Express gift card, one (1) Sur La Table 7-Piece Platinum Professional Bakeware Set, one (1) Sur La Table Silicone Snowman Spatula Set, one (1) Better Homes and Gardens Baking: More than 350 Recipes Plus Tips and Techniques cookbook, and 52 coupons for a free dozen of Davidson’s Safest Choice eggs.
The giveaway will end at midnight Eastern time on Friday, December 13th, so enter now!
Disclosure: I was compensated for this post by Davidson’s Safest Choice Eggs. That being said, all opinions expressed in this blog post are my own. I only recommend products or services I personally use and believe you, the reader, will enjoy — and I will never endorse any product or service that I do not fully support.