Oh, the weather outside is frightful, but the fire is so delightful.
And since we’ve no place to go … let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.
While it didn’t snow here in St. Louis this past weekend, I did have to finish some last-minute Christmas shopping in the cold, freezing rain, which completely qualifies as frightful in my book.
What’s the one thing I crave after a long day of trekking around in the cold and wet? A warm, comforting bowl of soup.
What’s the perfect soup to warm up both my tummy and my taste buds? The Chef’s spicy taco soup.
The Chef’s mom has been making taco soup since The Chef was a kid, and he introduced to me a few years ago. While our version is a lot spicier that what The Chef’s mom used to make, it’s still a quick and easy dish that makes a perfect warm-you-up winter meal.
The spiciness in our version mostly comes from our salsa and hot sauce of choice; we learn towards “really hot” on both fronts. Not a fan of spicy things? You can use any mild salsa you like in this recipe, and you can also either decrease the amount of hot sauce called for or omit it completely. Either way, you’ll still end up with a delicious bowl of taco soup that’s good to the last spoonful!
Spicy Taco Soup
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can hominy
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1 (14 ounce) can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes with chiles
- 2 (4 ounce) cans diced green chiles
- 2 cups salsa
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Sour cream, grated cheese, chopped green onions, and/or pickled jalapenos, for garnish
1. In a large skillet, brown the ground beef and onions; drain the excess fat, then transfer the browned beef and onions to a largestockpot.
2. Add the remaining ingredients to the stockpot, and stir together thoroughly.
3. Bring to a boil, then simmer over low heat for about 1 hour. Serve with garnishes as desired.
Makes approximately 10 cups.