Let’s play a little game.
Can you spy today’s recipe in my previous post?
Okay, that was a pretty easy game, but I’m fairly certain one glimpse of my spicy homemade breakfast sausage will have you heading straight to the kitchen to make some.
And why wouldn’t you? Making your own breakfast sausage takes only slightly more effort than opening a package of the commercially-made stuff … and you’ll know exactly what’s in your sausage as well … no BHA or BHT here!
Our spicy breakfast sausage stared with a pound of local-to-us Kluesner Farm ground pork, to which we added a ton of flavor courtesy of minced onion, black pepper, coriander, cumin, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, smoked paprika, and a hint of cinnamon. Yes, that’s a lot of spices, but they’re the perfect blend to get your tastebuds dancing first thing in the morning.
Why don’t you make some and find out?
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons minced onion
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried coriander
- 1 teaspoon dried cumin
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Olive oil
- Place the ground pork in a large bowl. Sprinkle with the spices, then mix everything together with your hands to ensure the spices are evenly distributed.
- Divide the pork mixture into 8 to 10 even-sized portions, then form into patties.
- In a large skillet coated with a thin layer of olive oil, saute the patties in batches over medium heat until the patties are brown and cooked through, approximately 8 to 10 minutes.
- Once cooked, place the patties on a paper towel-lined plate, then serve as desired.