I love bread so much that if it were a person, I would marry it.
Okay, that’s a bit extreme, but I really do love bread … and that’s why I’m super excited to be participating in a new monthly blog challenge, Twelve Loaves!
Twelve Loaves was established in 2012 by Lora from Cake Duchess. The goal? To inspire people to bake more bread … which is exactly what I did yesterday after The Chef and I returned from our week long vacation in Gulf Shores (more on that later!).
This month’s Twelve Loaves theme is summer herbs. I don’t know about you, but when I think of summer herbs, I immediately think of basil … which then makes me immediately think of pesto.
A delightful combination of basil, pine nuts, Parmesan cheese, and olive oil, pesto is one of my favorite condiments. Instead of using prepared pesto in my Twelve Loaves creation, I decided to use each of the components on their own … and the end of result was just as delightful.
Using a basic buttermilk quick bread recipe from The Kitchn as the base, I tweaked a few things here and there, then added the requisite pesto ingredients … and shortly after the loaves hit the oven, I knew they were going to be good.
Fragrant and tangy, my pesto quick bread has just the right amount of basil, Parmesan, and pine nuts — oh, those delicious nuggets of pine nuts studded throughout the bread — I think they’re my favorite part! I truly couldn’t be happier with how this bread turned out … and I may or may not have eaten an entire loaf myself. Shh, don’t tell anyone!
- Thyme for Beer Bread by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Pesto Quick Bread by Rhubarb and Honey
- Basil Buns by Rise of The Sourdough Preacher
- Herbed Skillet Cornbread by Magnolia Days
- Rosemary Grissini by Cake Duchess
- Rosemary Parmesan Flatbread Crisps by A Shaggy Dough Story
- Herbed Buttermilk Biscuits by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Keema Naan by Food Lust People Love
- Gluten Free Basil Parmesan Popovers by Simply Gourmet
- Pull-Apart Bread w/ Herbs & Seeds by girlichef
- Pesto Bread by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
If you’d like to add your bread to the collection with the Linky Tool this month, here’s what you need to do!
- When you post your Twelve Loaves bread on your blog, make sure that you mention the Twelve Loaves challenge in your blog post; this helps us to get more members as well as share everyone’s posts. Please make sure that your bread is inspired by the theme!
- Please link your post to the linky tool at the bottom of this blog post. It must be a bread baked to the Twelve Loaves theme.
- Bake your Twelve Loaves bread this August 2014; it must be posted on your blog by August 31, 2014.