I didn’t … but the good folks from the Sunday Supper Movement did so we’re celebrating it and all the squashes with a squash fest!
Hee, hee, hee … I said squash fest. That’s funny.
You know what’s not funny?
Letting your CSA zucchini and yellow squash go to waste because there’s just so much of it.
The Chef and I have participated in a number of CSA’s over the years, and this is about the time each year when we start to get sick of all the zucchini and yellow squash. Don’t get me wrong. I love both of these summer veggies … but it’s easy to run out of ideas for what to do with them every week.
But, never fear, my intrepid Rhubarb and Honey readers. I have just found one of the best ways to use up your stash of zucchini and yellow squash … with my roasted zucchini and yellow squash galette!
And, truth be told, I have fallen in love with making galettes. Easy to throw together with almost any vegetable or fruit you have on hand — yes, a galette can be savory or sweet — the galette is a foodie’s secret weapon. Seriously, your friends will never know that the elegant-looking side dish or dessert you’re serving didn’t take hours to make.
Unless you tell them. Like I just did.
Anyway … just like my blueberry and raspberry galette, my roasted zucchini and yellow squash galette takes only a few ingredients and a short time in the oven. And what emerges is a perfect summer side dish that lets the squashes shine!
- 1 medium-sized zucchini, sliced into ¼-inch slices
- 1 medium-sized yellow summer squash, sliced into ¼-inch slices
- Salt and pepper
- 1 refrigerated pie crust, softened as directed on box
- ½ cup prepared pesto
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan or Pecorino cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Position a rack in the center of the oven.
- Brush a large baking sheet with a thin latyer of olive oil or cooking spray. Place the zucchini and squash slices on the baking sheet, sprinkle with salt and pepper, then bake for 20 minutes, turning once halfway through the cooking period.
- Remove from the oven, and let cool for a few minutes.
- Place a piece of parchment paper on another large baking sheet; unroll the pie crust onto the parchment paper.
- Spoon the pesto into the center of the crust, then spread to within 1½ inches of the crust edge. Top evenly with the roasted zucchini and squash slices.
- Fold the crust edge up and over the vegetables, working your way around in a circle and pleating the crust as necessary.
- Beat together the egg and water. Using a pastry brush, brush the top of the crust evenly with the beaten egg (discard any egg not used). Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the entire galette.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until the pie crust is golden. Cool for at least 10 minutes before serving. May be served warm or at room temperature.
Starters – Appetizers & Cocktails:
- Bourbon Pumpkin Pie in a Glass from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Spaghetti Squash and Zucchini Pancakes from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Zucchini Pizza Bites from Mommas Meals
- Zucchini Tomato Focaccia Bread with Pretzel Salt from Family Foodie
Pickles & Relish:
Soups & Salads:
- Creamy Dairyfree Zucchini Soup from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Easy Slow Cooker Pasta e Fagioli e Zucchini from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Pumpkin Soup with Bacon and Persimmon from Culinary Adventures with Camillia
- Tofu Vegetable Soup from What Smells So Good?
- Zucchini Cheese Soup from Noshing with the Nolands
- Zucchini Noodles with Basil Vinaigrette from Ruffles and Truffles
- Acorn Squash Ramen from Ninja Baking
- Beef, Butternut & Potato Pie from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Beef Ragu over Spaghetti Squash from The Texan New Yorker
- Black Bean, Butternut Squash & Millet Stuffed Poblano Peppers with Ancho-Guajillo Chile Sauce from Simply Healthy Family
- Chorizo-Stuffed Zucchini from La Cocina de Leslie
- Gluten Free Zucchini Noodles & Meatballs from Gluten Free Crumbley
- Italian Sausage Zucchini Lasagna from Curious Cuisiniere
- Risotto with Butternut Squash, Chicken and Sage from Cooking Chat
- Sausage and Farro Stuffed Acorn Squash from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Sausage Stuffed Zucchini Cups from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Sesame Zucchini Noodles (Zoodles) from Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Spaghetti Squash Casserole from Shockingly Delicious
- Spinach and Mushroom Quiche with Spaghetti Squash Crust from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Stuffed Red Kuri Squash from Food Lust People Love
- Zucchini-Corn Pancakes from The Weekend Gourmet
- Cheesy Thyme Baked Acorn Squash from An Appealing Plan
- Creamy Baked Acorn Squash from Simply Gourmet
- Grilled Zucchini and Corn Succotash from Take a Bite Out of Boca
- Kabocha no Nimono (Simmered Acorn Squash) from A Mama, Baby and Shar Pei in the Kitchen
- Roasted Kabocha Squash from Peaceful Cooking
- Roasted Zucchini and Yellow Squash Galette from Rhubarb and Honey
- Spaghetti Squash Fritters from Nosh My Way
- Sweet and Savory Roasted Delicata Squash and Pear from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Zucchini Succotash Cobbler with Cornbread Topping from The Wimpy Vegetarian
Sweets to Start or End the Day:
- Chocolate Zucchini Bundt Cake from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chocolate Zucchini Coffeecake with Chocolate Crumb from Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Chocolate Zucchini Pancakes from Brunch with Joy
- Granny’s Zucchini Bread from Pies and Plots
- Pumpkin Cheesecake French Toast Roll Ups with Pumpkin Spice Dipping Sauce from Chocolate Moosey
- Pumpkin Cookie Butter Cinnamon Buns with Cookie Butter Glaze from Grumpy’s Honey Bunch
- Pumpkin Pie Layer Cheesecake Bars from Wallflour Girl
- Pumpkin Spice Latte Cupcakes from The Foodie Army Wife
- Vegan Pumpkin Spice Cookies from Killer Bunnies Inc.
- Zucchini Brownies from Eat, Drink and Be Tracy
- Zucchini Lemon Ginger Bread from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks