Cherry pie, cherry clafouti, cherry crisp, cherry smoothies, cherry popsicles — heck, even cherries jubilee — I pretty much love any and all things cherry.
Note to The Chef: If you’re debating what to make me for Valentine’s Day dinner, make sure it involves cherries and olives in some form … you’ll be golden!
Anyway, today I’m bringing you a simple cherry recipe that would be a perfect accompaniment to a Valentine’s Day breakfast, lunch, dinner, or dessert … and it only has four ingredients. Intrigued? You should be!
My dark cherry-cranberry compote combines dark sweet cherries, tart cranberries, vibrant, tangy orange, and just the right amount of sugar to balance it all out … making it a perfect spread for English muffins or bagels for your Valentine in the morning and an equally delectable ice cream topping to woo your Valentine at night.
Or you could just slather some on a turkey sandwich … no wooing involved.
No matter what you decide to do with my dark cherry-cranberry compote, I do hope you’ll make some just for you too!
- 1 (12-ounce) bag frozen pitted dark sweet cherries
- 1½ cups frozen cranberries
- 1 large orange, zested and juiced
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the dark sweet cherries, the cranberries, the orange zest, and the orange juice. Stir together, then cook about 10 minutes or until the cherries and cranberries are soft, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the sugar, then bring the mixture to a boil; reduce the heat to low, then simmer until mostly thick (about 25 minutes), stirring occasionally.
- Once the mixture is mostly thick, remove the saucepan from the heat and allow the compote to cool. Cover and chill to allow the compote to fully thicken before serving.
- 4 Ingredient Chocolate Covered Cherry Cake Balls by Keep it Simple, Sweetie
- Balsamic Cherry Brie Stuffed French Toast by Pantry Friendly Cooking
- Breakfast Yogurt with Cherries Sauce by Brunch with Joy
- Cherry Apple Crumble Tart by Food Lust People Love
- Cherry Chocolate Coconut Slices by Baking in Pyjamas
- Cherry Danishes by Passion Kneaded
- Cherry Glazed Cherry Muffins by We Like to Learn as We Go
- Cherry Pie Bites by The Freshman Cook
- Chocolate and Maraschino Cherry Shortbread Cookies by Making Miracles
- Chocolate Cherry Brownies by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chocolate Cherry Protein Smoothie by Mrs. Penguin
- Crock Pot Balsamic Cherry Beef Roast by Rae Gun Ramblings
- Dark Cherry BBQ Sauce by The Joyful Foodie
- Dark Cherry-Cranberry Compote by Rhubarb and Honey
- Fresh Cherry Crisp by Fearlessly Creative Mammas
- National Cherry Month by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Real Maraschino Cherries by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Vanilla Ice Cream with Dried Cherries & Dark Chocolate by Sew You Think You Can Cook