And when that chocolate is crusted on crunchy almonds — along with a little extra sweet and spice — you have a delicious, healthy snack perfect for anytime of the day.
You also have one of my favorite chocolate flavor combinations — chocolate and chipotle — which easily fits the theme of this month’s Recipe ReDux: favorite chocolate matches.
Now, I know what you’re thinking … chocolate and chipotle is pretty strange, right?
But it works!
The smokiness of the chipotle is a perfect counterbalance to the fruity, bittersweet flavor of dark chocolate — and when you add in some sweetness from confectioners sugar and a touch of salt as well — my spicy cocoa crusted almonds strike a chord with every taste bud on your tongue!
- 1½ tablespoons unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- 1½ tablespoons confectioners sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon dried chipotle pepper
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1¼ cups whole raw almonds
- In a large bowl, combine the cocoa powder, confectioners sugar, salt, and chipotle pepper. Stir to thoroughly combine, then set aside.
- In a medium-sized skillet over medium heat, melt the coconut oil, then add the almonds and stir to coat. Saute the almonds, stirring frequently, about 3 to 4 minutes or until warm.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the warmed almonds into the cocoa powder mixture, then stir together until the nuts are completely coated. Allow to cool, then serve.