Disclosure: I received product to sample from The French Farm. All opinions are my own.
Who says a cookout can’t be healthy? Add some green to your next barbecue or picnic with this spicy lemon broccoli salad!
I’m really glad you joined me today because I have something pretty serious to talk to you about … eating your vegetables.
Wait … don’t go.
I know you may not like to eat your vegetables, but they really are important. And since I care so much about you and your health, I found a way to make eating your vegetables so tasty you’ll forget they’re on your “I only eat them because I have to” list.
#CookoutWeek sponsor The French Farm recently let the #CookoutWeek bloggers chose some items from their site to use in a #CookoutWeek recipe.
The French Farm searches all over Europe to bring you the finest imported gourmet foods, all carefully crafted by small, family-owned businesses and made using traditional recipes and techniques. All of their products contain high-quality ingredients, taste delicious, and are packaged beautifully too.
Since I’m a sucker for pretty packaging (have you seen my Instagram feed, y’all?), I chose two products that were not only pretty on the outside, but also filled with some of my favorite ingredients … spicy “fireman’s” mustard and lemon-infused olive oil.
I whipped these two magical (and healthy!) ingredients into a light, delicious vinaigrette and gave it a good tumble with fresh, blanched broccoli. I then added in pancetta, almonds, and dried cranberries to make a delicious, vibrant veggie salad that even the pickiest of eaters — yes, I’m talking to those of you who don’t like to eat their veggies — will love.
See … eating your veggies isn’t that hard.
- 4 ounces diced pancetta
- 4 to 5 cups coarsely chopped broccoli florets (about 1 large bunch)
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Fireman's Spicy mustard
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup Il Boschetto lemon-infused extra-virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup slivered or sliced almonds, toasted
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries
- In a medium saute pan over medium-high heat, cook the pancetta until lightly crisp; drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Place a large pot of salted water on the stove, and bring to a boil. Add the broccoli florets, and blanch until bright green and slightly tender, about 3 to 5 minutes. Drain the broccoli well, then run under cold water to stop the cooking process. Drain again.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the vinegar, mustard, salt, and pepper. While whisking constantly, gradually add the olive oil in a light stream until emulsified. Add the broccoli to the dressing, then toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Just before serving, add the almonds, cranberries, and cooked pancetta to the dressed broccoli and gently fold together. Serve immediately.
Don’t forget to enter the #CookoutWeek giveaway, filled with more than $300 worth of prizes!